THE VERY WELL-KNOWN LA SCALA CHOP SALAD.
Can you believe that my Hungry Lady Salad series already has 28 episodes? It seems like we just started eating these tasty, filling, and just plain good salads yesterday. Our newest issue is the perfect reason to take you on a culinary trip to the beautiful scenery of Beverly Hills…
In Beverly Hills, California, there is a restaurant called La Scala that is known for its chopped salad. It’s been said In fact, this is one that the Kardashians like a lot. But we’re not making it for that reason. We’re going to make it because it’s tasty and SO easy.
It is full of tasty things like garbanzo beans that have been marinated, cheese, and salami. It is topped with a vinaigrette made from a recipe from the 1950s. Most of the same ingredients are used, and the dressing is tangy, just like at the restaurant.
This salad tastes like an Italian sub, and it couldn’t be easier to make… Really, it won’t take more than 5 minutes.
WATCH ME MAKE THE WELL-KNOWN LA SCALA Chopped Salad
If you’ve missed any of my Hungry Lady Salad videos and want to catch up, you can follow me on Facebook or go to Pinterest to see the whole collection (along with a lot of other great recipes).
HOW TO MAKE THE FAMOUS LA SCALA CHOP SALAD
Step 1: Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a large serving bowl until they are well mixed.
Step 2. To the bowl, combine lettuces, salami, mozzarella, and garbanzo beans. Mix well with the vinaigrette.
Step 3: Add more cheese, salt, and black pepper, if you want, to finish.
Step 4. Enjoy!
WHAT CAN I USE ELSE?
- The Italian Dry Boar’s Head Salami shown here is my favorite, but you can use any salami you like.
- At La Scala, the dressing is made of dry mustard. I ask for Dijon mustard because most of us already have it on hand. Use 1 teaspoon of dry mustard.
- This salad would be good with pepperoni instead of salami.
- You can use Parmesan or Pecorino.
- All or part of the salad can be made with romaine lettuce.
- Roasted red peppers and/or tomatoes work well if you want to add vegetables.
- This salad is completely vegetarian if you leave out the salami.
- Antipasto: To make this salad more like an antipasto, add some olives and artichoke hearts.
This famous chopped salad from the La Scala restaurant in Beverly Hills is special because:
- If you can’t get to the restaurant, the next best thing is to have the food brought to you.
- It only takes MINUTES to make and doesn’t require much chopping.
- It tastes good and fills you up,
- and you only need a few ingredients and one bowl.
- It tastes like an Italian sub in salad form, so it will satisfy your cravings for a hearty sandwich.